Saturday, September 18, 2010

Insane amount of Vegan Bran Muffins

This recipe makes too many vegan muffins. If you don't think you can eat thirty, I recommend you split it.

1/4 cup Flaxseed Meal (I keep the already ground Bob's Red Mill type in my fridge)
3/4 cup Water
2 cups Rice Milk (soy, almond, or hemp work fine)
1 cup Canola Oil
3/4 cup Agave
3/4 cup Black Strap Molasses
3 cups oat bran
1 cup oat flour
1 cup gluten-free all purpose
1 cup potato flour
1 cup brown rice flour
2 1/2 tablespoons baking powder
2 teaspoons baking soda
2 tablespoons soy powder (optional)
4 cups raisins
2 cups chopped walnuts(optional)
1 cup vegan semi sweet chocolate chips (very optional)

1. Mix flaxseed oil and water in the blender for two minutes. You can put it in the fridge for one hour to let it get thicker like the fake egg it's pretending to be, but if you're in a hurry (which I usually am)you can just start mixing it into the wet ingredients straight out of the blender.
2. Mix the wet ingredients.
3. Whisk the dry ingredients in a separate bowl.
4. Mix the wet and dry together. The dough will be thicker than you'd expect because I changed this recipe into gluten-free and it tends to seem crazy. It's basically "play dough" thick.
5. At this point, I split the dough into the two containers and mix in chocolate chips for my daughter and raisins and walnuts for my husband. You could just use all the dough and mix raisins with or without walnuts or chocolate chips. If you're a single person planning to eat all thirty, you may wish for variety- it's your call.
6. I stuff the dough in level with my hands into regular or mini muffins tins sprayed with oil. I usually put my husband's raisins and walnuts filled muffins into big-boy regular sized muffins and my daughter's chocolate chips into mini muffins.
7. Bake at 375 for 22-25 minutes.


This recipe was originally taken here where it is not gluten free. If you want the original recipe, you can just substitute all the flours with whole wheat pastry flour. I've made it this way and it's yummy, but this mixture I made including the potato flour make a very moist and yummy gluten free alternative. And I took out the honey and rewrote the recipe in fewer steps. Me and Cossette hope you like it!

No comments:

Post a Comment