Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Cashew Cheese

1/4 Chardonnay or water
1 Tbsp. Apple Cider Vinegar
1 Cup Cultured Vegetables
2 Tbsp Miso
1/4 tsp. Salt
1/2 tsp. Dry Mustard (the spice, not the condiment)
1 Cup Cashews (soak for 30 minutes, then drain)

Put water or wine in the blender. Add the rest of the ingredients in order and blend. Add extra water to desired thickness. Let it sit on counter overnight to cultivate cultures.

The original recipe is called "Chardonnay Cheese" by Chef Tanya of Native Foods. I don't find the wine necessary (and it kills cultures...) but it does bring a yummy funk. She also asks for 1 tsp of prepared Dijon mustard, but because I don't buy packaged foods in general, I replaced it with mustard powder and apple cider vinegar. She also asks you to use sauerkraut, but I make my own "cultured vegetables" Donna Gates style (no salt or vinegar: just cabbage, carrots, garlic, and ginger shredded with culture starter in a huge jar for a week.)The recipe still isn't quite "Body Ecology" because there are cashews in it.

Sometimes I use different seeds or nuts like almonds, pepitas, etc.

AND I usually double the recipe because we love it so much. We usually eat some right away because it's too yummy to wait for and leave the rest in jars on the counter top for one night. I use mason type jars I label with a dry erase marker, "Yummy Cheezy Awesomeness" or some other cute name depending on my mood. It's lovely to have in the fridge for a quick snack. Thinned out, it makes a yummy dressing and really counters the bitterness in a green salad. I make quesadillas and other various sandwich spread uses, but it's best with carrots and celery or baked blue chips.

No comments:

Post a Comment