Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Green Smoothie Magic

Roll out of bed to breakfast magic within 30 seconds!

Quicker and healthier than Cheerios and it will wake you up and sustain you until lunch.

What I do is buy green bags (the ones for veggies)and I buy all my leafy greens and put a handful of each per bag. This makes it so me or my groggy husband can crawl to the blender to wake up my giant 11 year old and us with deliciousness.

One large box of pre-washed organic spinach
One large box of pre-washed organic cut kale
One bunch of organic parsley
One bunch of organic mint (or two small boxes)
One box of organic alfalfa or clover sprouts
pineapple juice and/or water
ice or frozen apples

So first I get out 7 or 8 bags and divide the boxes of kale and spinach equally in all the bags. Usually a handful or two of each. Next, I fill the clean, plugged, sink with water and put my parsley and mint in it and swish it around. I spin one at a time in my salad spinner. I equally divide the mint into the bags, and equally divide the parsley into the bags. If you don't have a vita-mix or blend-tec, remove the stems of the mint and parsley first. Next I rinse the sprouts in a strainer, and then put them in a salad spinner (but first put down a paper towel so they don't shoot through the spinner.) Then I divide the sprouts into equal parts into the bags.

In the morning (or whenever I want one) I fill the blender with about a cup of water per person. I recommend if you're a beginner to use pineapple juice instead of water. You can use half pineapple and half water when you get more used to the greens. After you add the one cup of pineapple juice per person, drop the contents of the pre-made green juice bag and blend.

If you have a conventional blender, wait until all the greens are tiny specs and not little leaf bits. Once it is smooth (maybe 3 or 4 minutes)add a cup of ice and a spoon full of honey or other sweetener if you wish. Then blend the ice and honey with the greens and pineapple.

If you have a high power blender, just put the juice, greens from pre-made bag, ice, and honey and blend for 30 seconds (or until smooth.)Even the whole stems will be obliterated and smooth as a juice rather than a creamy smoothie.

My family uses water with 9 drops of stevia and quartered, cored, granny smith apples that we have pre-frozen in a zip lock bag. It's important to add the frozen apples or ice to the top of the greens in a vita-mix, and not add them first near the blade. It won't blend on the bottom.

I also add a scoop of Bob's Redmill hemp protein to my husband's or he gets hungry before lunch. I'm full with the juice alone.

Anyway, new friends: email me and tell me what you think of this recipe.

I will make a video soon.
-

No comments:

Post a Comment